Etoiles d'Encre
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

AccueilAccueil  Dernières imagesDernières images  S'enregistrerS'enregistrer  Comment participer ?Comment participer ?  ConnexionConnexion  
Le Deal du moment : -45%
WHIRLPOOL OWFC3C26X – Lave-vaisselle pose libre ...
Voir le deal
339 €

Fragment #1 - The Novelist

5 participants
AuteurMessage
Anser

Anser

Fragment #1 - The Novelist Empty
MessageSujet: Fragment #1 - The Novelist   Fragment #1 - The Novelist Empty28.02.09 17:33

Thursday, February 27th 2009
in Paris

I have the taxi drop me in front of the Eiffel Tower, in Paris. I'm sure he thinks I'm just another American tourist, and maybe I am. But there's more than he will ever know. I look up at the gigantic steel monument and a tiny part of me says, "Je suis maison." Thanks to the French language lessons I learned too long ago in school, I know that one part has told me that it -- or rather she -- is home, though before this day I had never set foot in France before.

Clutching the bag containing what few clothes I brought along, my camera and my computer, I move away from the tower, wanting to get a better view of the entire thing. Glancing behind me I see the parkland with its curving trails to either side of a broad greenway leading to another monumental edifice perhaps a kilometer away. Snorting softly to myself I realize that trying to think in the European metric system isn't going to be easy, having lived all my life with the American measurements, aside from two years spent in Germany as a member of the U.S. military.

This time, however, I'm not going to have the advantage of a base full of Americans to help me feel somewhat at home. I'm already in a strange city surrounded by tourists and locals who think I'm a tourist, with no place to stay and no money to hire a place after paying off the taxi driver. Only one person even knows why I'm here, and she's so ecstatic to be back home in her native France that for now I'm merely a fixture to carry her from place to place. The problem is, this is not her France and this is not her Paris. I have no idea if the place she once called 'home' even exists.

Dernière édition par Vulpine le 28.02.09 20:04, édité 2 fois
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
http://www.saudu.net
Alhena

Alhena

MessageSujet: Re: Fragment #1 - The Novelist   Fragment #1 - The Novelist Empty28.02.09 19:36

I really like this text, Vulpine.
Can you just add, at the very beginning of the text, the date and the place in italics and "right" centered (do you say it like that?)? Have a look on the others' texts as example.

I really like the fluidity of your writing. More!!
Mesarthim

Mesarthim

MessageSujet: Re: Fragment #1 - The Novelist   Fragment #1 - The Novelist Empty28.02.09 19:38

I like the mystery about the feminine French character, and this beginning. It arises lots of questions: why is he here, how is he going to fit in Paris, will he like the city ... And the title is clear about who he is, but there is still so much to learn, as we got only a few intriguing details about his past... He seems to be a quite complex man, so to me as a reader, it's a promising character I want to know more about :) It's impressive that in a few lines you give us both so much information and yet so much more questions, I like that.
Altaïr

Altaïr

MessageSujet: Re: Fragment #1 - The Novelist   Fragment #1 - The Novelist Empty28.02.09 21:45

I want to read more :)
http://etoilesdencre.com/
Menkalinan

Menkalinan

MessageSujet: Re: Fragment #1 - The Novelist   Fragment #1 - The Novelist Empty28.02.09 23:17

So do I !!!
Actually, is that a man or a woman ? As for myself, I thought it was a woman.
Anser

Anser

MessageSujet: Re: Fragment #1 - The Novelist   Fragment #1 - The Novelist Empty01.03.09 0:51

To be honest, that's the way I wanted it: an indefinite persona already beset with confusion and insecurity. Too often a new writer feels he/she has to give all the details of the main character before giving them a personality. Most of the best new writers want you to learn the 'who' before you learn the 'what.'

The first Fragments I read by both Mesarthim and Alhena each went most of the way through the Fragment before really identifying the gender of their character. After all, how many people walk around thinking, "I'm a woman; I'm a man; I'm a Sauk?"

Writing is, in many ways, like a game of chess. The author is on one side of the board and his characters are on the other. An expert writer can carry a strong game all the way through the story. A good writer might have a strong opening but be weak in mid-game or end-game. An average writer would be perhaps strong in one of the areas and weak in the other two while a poor writer will be weak throughout the game and the story will never be told.

I consider myself an 'above-average' writer, strong in one area and perhaps able to bring a strong mid- or end-game. I can only hope to earn the status of 'good' or 'expert.'
Anser

Anser

MessageSujet: The Novelist: Part 2   Fragment #1 - The Novelist Empty01.03.09 20:47

Paris, 1 Mar, 2009

I turn my back on the Eiffel Tower and make my way slowly down the plaza towards the edifice I'd noted earlier. I don't know why, but I feel the pull to move away from the river for now, though I know I will visit it soon enough. For now, the strange architectural structure of stone, metal and glass, with its 32 free-standing columns, has my attention. I pass through the center of the monument and turn to look at the writing etched into the glass. "Peace."

Peace. A dream for all--but rarely a fact, it seems. But this isn't why I'm here. I have no peace, for within me lives the characters I have created and now they desire to see my world--or in one case, return to hers.

I resume walking, curving around the pavilion between the monument and the street. Before me now stands the Ecole Militare--Military School. A formidable edifice, obviously hundreds of years old and apparently still in use. But not my destination. I turn to my left, walking down the street beneath trees still bare of leaf, watching the traffic pass by. As I approach an intersection of five streets, I marvel at the design and control, traffic seeming to have a life of its own and flowing with remarkable fluidity, not at all the random insanity I expected of European city streets. Even so, as I walk farther away from the vicinity of le Ecole Militare the walkway narrows and auto traffic seems to become more congested.

I ask Antoinette, "Where are we going," but receive no answer. I'm not certain she knows herself since this Paris is not her own; a Paris almost destroyed in an alien attack some thirty years in my future.

Who is Antoinette? A character in a novel. One of my novels. I'd created her as a love interest and companion for another, Jon Redd. However, her intensity and love for life almost subsumed Jon in the story, making it hers instead of mine. Jon rode with me too, as did others. But for now I was Antoinette's vehicle, carrying her to the places she once called home so that she may come to life in a world that might believe in her.

Despite my lack of money, she somehow knows how to survive; and in surviving herself, I am able to make my way. She takes me to tiny shops where she somehow, using my more masculine voice, entreats the owners for some scrap of bread, bit of meat, or even an old, dried carrot to assuage my hunger. I try to speak for myself, but my halting French earns me nothing but shouts and curses. Antoinette's flowing song and words, her expressive hands, have them treating me almost as family. I almost never understand all of what she says, but what little I can ascertain tells me that Paris is only the beginning of my travels.
Mesarthim

Mesarthim

MessageSujet: Re: Fragment #1 - The Novelist   Fragment #1 - The Novelist Empty01.03.09 21:37

It would be easier for the reading if you post each different text in a new topic, not posting after the first one plus our coments.

I like the way we discover that Antoinette is one of the characters he (I assume he is a he) created as a novelist, and the importance she has for him.

I want to know more about the alien attack!!
Alhena

Alhena

MessageSujet: Re: Fragment #1 - The Novelist   Fragment #1 - The Novelist Empty02.03.09 3:38

Here, Vulpine, this is just brilliant. I love it!
Contenu sponsorisé

MessageSujet: Re: Fragment #1 - The Novelist   Fragment #1 - The Novelist Empty

Fragment #1 - The Novelist
Page 1 sur 1