Etoiles d'Encre
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

AccueilAccueil  Dernières imagesDernières images  S'enregistrerS'enregistrer  Comment participer ?Comment participer ?  ConnexionConnexion  
Le Deal du moment :
Bon plan achat en duo : 2ème robot cuiseur ...
Voir le deal
600 €

Fragment #23 - Our backs against the wall

AuteurMessage
Alhena

Alhena

Fragment #23 - Our backs against the wall Empty
MessageSujet: Fragment #23 - Our backs against the wall   Fragment #23 - Our backs against the wall Empty05.01.09 12:16

Monday, May 12th 2008
in Glasgow

I open the door as Camie is knocking on it. With a poor smile, I let him in. We make our way to the big space which I use as living room and kitchen. Sitting on the coach are Steve, his right arm in bandages, and Sasha, on the phone with Mickael. Cameron sits down and Paul comes out of the bathroom. Coldplay is playing in the background. Sasha hangs up after having said "good night" at least ten times. Her and her Mickael... Finally, it's only silence, and music. Paul and I are standing while all the others are seated. I can feel the awckward silence getting longer, and longer, and longer... Until Cameron (God bless him) talks.
"So. What happened?"
Everybody looks at him. I can't see Steve's face from where I am but I can see his fingers slightly twitching now and then.
As nobody answers, Paul turns around and walks into the kitchen.
"Tea, for everybody?"
"Are you kidding? Whisky for me!" Sasha says.
"Me too!" Cameron says
"Make it a double for me." That's Steve. His voice is strange. A bit as if it was reaching us after going through some cotton. I know he didn't want all these people tonight, but I needed that. I needed to tell people, people who matter, what happened. Once everybody has got a glass or a mug in their hands, Cameron starts over again.
"So? What happened? I had the unusally short resume by our favourite journalist", he points at me,"but not the actual factual thing."
I'm kind of waiting for Steve to talk actually. I think it would do him good. But he stays silent. Paul sips a bit of his tea. The silence again. I decide it's my turn.
"Well, as I said before, we were going to Paul's that evening and it was about 7. So, you know, day light. And..."
Before I can say anything, Steve stands up, drinks his whisky "bottom's up" and walks away to his room. The door closes. The silence, again. Sasha stands up and says "Maybe one of us should go and see if he is ok?"
Paul answers for me. "No, I don't think so. I think he needs to be left alone, at least for now." He then turn to me, and looking me straight in the eyes, says "Come on, sis, you need to let it out. Tell Camie."
I breathe in, slowly, and starts again.
"I wanted to check on Paul who didn't give me any news for a couple of days. We took the subway. In the subway, I thought I had seen the guy, but then, you know, I thought I was just being stupid. We got off and after a while turned into Paul's street. It was empty. And the guy was there, waiting for us. He had a knife in his hand. He said something about me being with another person. Steve stepped forward, and pushed me behind him. I was bloody scared, I couldn't say a word. I could hear Marcello..."
"My Italian flatmate" Paul adds.
"...yeah. I could hear them laughing a couple of floors upwards. Steve said something to the guy about leaving me alone. But that crazy man would not hear a thing. He attacked, aiming for me, I suppose, but Steve put himself in the way and got hurt on his arm. Not really stabbed but it was close. He punched the guy in the face, the guy punched back, and I managed at last to call for help. I screamed - not very helpful, I know - but that was the only thing I could do at first. Then I shouted for Paul. At that point, the guy had sent Steve on the floor, and not taking anymore care of me, was coming back with his knife, aiming for Steve..."
I pause. Tears running on my cheeks. While I was talking, Sasha had made me sit down next to her on the sofa. She is rubbing my back, now...
"I... I don't know what came over me, I just got angry at that guy who was turning my life to hell. I run to him and slap him in the face. And then, I punched him in the stomach, where I had a fair idea it will hurt. And then, I used my secret weapon," I say with a poor smile. "I kicked him hard in the balls. Again, and again. He fell on the floor. I turned to Steve and tore my jacket to make him a bandage for his arm. I was completely stressed out, my hands were shaking..." I stop talking, close my eyes and let the tears out.
Paul starts. "When Marcello heard the scream, he look outside by the open window and said "Isn't that your sister?" and that's when I heard my name. I didn't even bother checking through the window, I rushed downstairs, and arrived in time to call 112, and to hold the guy down. Charlie hurt him really bad and I am not sure he could walk before a couple of days. The police and an ambulance arrived and while Steve left to the Western Infirmary, they took our depositions, Charlie's and mine. And they said they would take Steve's."
"They have. And I received a letter yesterday. The trial will be in a couple of months..." I say.
"Don't worry Charlie. I'll go and give my testimony. That guy will go to jail. Do you have a lawyer yet?"
"No... I... I didn't see that far. I'll call my dad tomorrow, see if he knows anybody in Glasgow."
"If not, I know someone great." Cameron comes to me and puts his hand on my shoulder. "We're here for you, ok Princess? You know that?" I nod, but remain silent, crying. He gives me a hug. "Good."
He stands up. "Well, I'll get going I think. You sure you want to come tomorrow?"
"Yes, I need some air, to get out, to keep living..."
"Ok. Sasha, do you want a lift?"
"Er..." I know she hesitates because she thinks she should stay. I smile at her. "Go, Sasha. There is no need for you to stay. I promise I'm going to be ok."
She kisses me on the cheek and gives me a big hug. "Ok, then." And off they go.
I turn to my brother. "Tu veux que je reste, sis'? What about Steve?"
"No, go home. I'll take care of him. You work tomorrow..." I give him a hug. "Take care. Bye."
And off he goes.

I go to Steve's door. I knock.
"Steve?"
The door opens. He is sitting, his back against the wall. I sit next to him.
"I didn't protect you..." he whispers.
"Of course you did."
"No. I didn't. How can I face people now?..."
I look at him. He 's crying. I turn the light off. We just stay there for a while, silent. Until I fall asleep on his shoulder.
Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Fragment #23 - Our backs against the wall
Page 1 sur 1